Alternate letters based on preceding character.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
The Toxorpion

Alternate letters based on preceding character.

Post by The Toxorpion »

Dear anyone who can help,
I would like to know how to make a character while typing change to an alternate letter, based on the preceding/following ones. For example, if you type with the Bickham Script Pro font and type the letter "r" then the letter "s", the original "r" changes to a new style to suit the following "s". How can I do this in Font Creator?

I hope you can help,
Paul
vanisaac

Re: Alternate letters based on preceding character.

Post by vanisaac »

You need to get into OpenType in order to define contextual characters. There are some threads on adding OpenType features to fonts if you do a search on this forum, or you can download Microsoft Typography's Visual OpenType Layout Tool (Microsoft VOLT). Depending on what software you use, you may also be able to get away with SIL's Graphite technology, which is a bit more predictable, as all aspects of the character engine are defined at the font level, instead of OpenType's Uniscribe engine, which activates and deactivates features for certain scripts and code points.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is the easiest method to add OpenType features.

Adding OpenType Features
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:This is the easiest method to add OpenType features.

Adding OpenType Features
That's a matter of opinion. :mrgreen: