Problems regarding Hebrew and Plane 1

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Cmaflec K

Problems regarding Hebrew and Plane 1

Post by Cmaflec K »

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie at font designing, and I have some problems with my new font, YF NotHand:

The font supports Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Runic and Hebrew.
The former four work fine, but Hebrew behaves strangely: when I type Hebrew text in certain programs, such as Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop, instead of getting the glyphs from my font it starts typing in Arial.
I haven't designed niqqud nor cantillation, but that shouldn't pose a problem, as I have seen many Hebrew fonts that work perfectly fine with neither of these.
I am using the Home Edition of FontCreator.

+ Another question: when I map the half-ounce glyph to its corresponding place in Plane 1 (U+1F773), the glyph gets mapped to U+F773 instead. Does anyone know how to fix this? This also applies to all other non-BMP codepoints.

Font preview: http://yuvsstuff.net/f0nt.PNG
Font download: http://yuvsstuff.net/YFNotHand.ttf

For the record — I did a search through the forum and didn't find anything related to my problem.
vanisaac

Re: Problems regarding Hebrew and Plane 1

Post by vanisaac »

For the Hebrew issues, I would check to make sure that you have the Unicode Character Range for Hebrew selected at Format:Settings:Ranges. Do the autocalculation, then slip into the edit dialogue and make sure that Hebrew is selected.

For your SMP issues, you need to make sure that you have a Cmap table that supports a full Unicode repertoire. Go to Format:Platform Manager and make sure you have the
"Unicode 2.0 and onwards, full" platform added. If not, add it (it is "Unicode/Unicode 2.0 and onwards semantics, Unicode full repertoire" in the add platform dialogue). After that, delete any mappings of your SMP characters, except in the Unicode,full platform (right click character:properties:mappings). That should do it.

If these don't work, you can upload your font so we can take a look at it, if you don't mind other people having access, but let us know if that solved your issues or not.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Welcome to the forum.
Cmaflec K wrote: + Another question: when I map the half-ounce glyph to its corresponding place in Plane 1 (U+1F773), the glyph gets mapped to U+F773 instead. Does anyone know how to fix this? This also applies to all other non-BMP codepoints.

I had a similar problem back in 2008.

The story is in a thread entitled "High Plane Unicode Mapping".

Here is a link to the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2527

I hope that this helps.

William Overington

21 November 2011
Cmaflec K

Post by Cmaflec K »

Thank you very much!!

Hebrew now works in all programs.

I tried what you said about SMP, but turns out it requires me to map the glyphs all over again, so... I think I'll leave it to another time :wink:

Thanks again!
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Glad to hear.