Get rid of Ligature

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
phanna

Get rid of Ligature

Post by phanna »

Hello there,

I'm designing an Arabic font, but I'm having hard time mapping new characters onto some keys such as B and F. These keys seem to use some Arabic ligature forms that "calls" one or two characters to form the ligature. Since I will not be using that, I want to be able to use the keys B and F, but each time I map a new character onto these keys, the font automatically chooses not to use them and still calls some other characters to form ligatures.

I was told by a High Logic technician that to solve this problem I would have to clear out OpenType Layout Feature tables. E.g. GSUB, GPOS, etc., which I did but with no luck..

I really appreciate any help to solve this issue!

Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Get rid of Ligature

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You probably need to reinstall the font and perhaps need to reboot. If you have cleared the GSUB tables then the substitutions cannot occur.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
phanna

Post by phanna »

Thanks, but it didn't do the trick... I even tried to start all over and re-delete the GSUP tables, but with no luck.. Check pictures below..

Any other suggestions?
Removed1.png
Removed1.png (61.32 KiB) Viewed 7859 times
Removed2.png
Removed2.png (41.29 KiB) Viewed 7859 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Is the replaced character from the same font or can it come from a fallback font?

Also with what word processor(s) do you test your font?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Some word processors will supply ligatures as a part of their autocorrect feature. Have you tried turning that off?
phanna

Post by phanna »

@ vanisaac, I use Microsoft Word 2007 to test my font... but I'm not sure whether what I'm experiencing is due to the word processor or not.. I haven't tried to turn the ligatures off in MS word 07.. any tips on how?

@ Erwin Denissen, the new character I'm trying to put to use is from the same font.. but each time I try to type it a ligature forms between two other characters instead.

The Keys I'm having trouble putting to use (ligatures won't go away) are b, B, F, and R.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help!
Cophanna
phanna

Post by phanna »

Here is the font I'm working on.. A bunch of lines which are called hazzat going RTL just as arabic language goes..

I started off with Arabic characters which I then cleared to add my lines, but wherever arabic ligature forms are mapped (keys b, B, G and T) my lines follow their script .. they would combine whatever is mapped onto the arabic characters that used to form the ligature.

I hope someone would help figure what the problem is exactly.. Is it another script or table embedded in the font? Or is it Microsoft word that is acting up?

How do we solve this issue?

Thanks!
Attachments
Hazzat Horizontal Arabic222_C.ttf
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
phanna

Post by phanna »

I just had an important realization... Since I disabled the GSUB, what I get when I type "B" using my font is merely the two glyphs, not in ligature..

I guess my question then becomes: How do I disable the combination of these two glyphs? Better yet, How do I make key "B" call a single character?