Cursive Fonts: Need help badly!!!!

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rohanbhangui

Cursive Fonts: Need help badly!!!!

Post by rohanbhangui »

Hi all,

I have been playing with Font Creator Pro for while now and I have hit a wall in terms of making my own cursive fonts.

I have read many forum posts but I have not been able to solve my problem or found any solutions.

See, I have made some cursive letters in adobe illustrator and have copy and pasted them into font Creator.

All was working well until started to adjust my letters so that they could join like a cursive font.

I found out that most of them began to stick into each other and so I adjusted the margins on the left and right for each letter.

Then I discovered kerning. But I realized after I had edited all 676 (only lowercase letters for now) pairs that my work was fruitless.

I realized that only if the media you are using to display font supports and has activated kerning will the letters be adjusted.

So my questions are:

1. Can I transfer the changes I made using kerning and apply those changes to my font regardless of kerning, in Font Creator?

2. If not: then is there a program (preferably free) that will allow me to do this?

3. If so: Can you tell me?

Really appreciate a quick reply as I need to finish some freelance work within next 2 days

Thanks in advance,

Rohan Bhangui
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Cursive Fonts: Need help badly!!!!

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you have searched the forums thoroughly and read all of the previous threads on this, or even just this one, and the linked Tutorial threadI don't think there is much more that we can add.

If applications don't support kerning, then the font must be made to work without it by adjusting the side-bearings. In any case, the side-bearings should be adjusted first before adding any kerning pairs.

I don't see any alternative to adjusting the side-bearings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rohanbhangui

Post by rohanbhangui »

thanks a lot but I really think that font creator should have a function for adjusting the side bearings for pairs of letters. This functionality would make font creator so much better
rohanbhangui

Post by rohanbhangui »

one last thing Bhikkhu Pesala,

after i am finished making my font do you think you could take a look at my font and give me some pointers?

I would really appreciate it as I am really a noob :D
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

rohanbhangui wrote:thanks a lot but I really think that font creator should have a function for adjusting the side bearings for pairs of letters. This functionality would make font creator so much better
That's exactly what kerning is. I can't believe that you don't have a program that supports kerning. It's pretty universal a feature.
rohanbhangui

Post by rohanbhangui »

word doesnt support kerning but what i mean is have kerning by default and "embeded" that into the font by default
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Word does support kerning, but you have to enable it.

Changing Kerning in Word and select the point size above which it will be used.

When you add kerning pairs to a font in FontCreator, the kerning values are "embedded" in the font, but they won't be used unless the application supports kerning, and is enabled.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486