images split on loading into FC

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
MichelleW

images split on loading into FC

Post by MichelleW »

I've had this problem in the past and it seems to fix itself. However; not this time. When I load an image file into Font Creator it splits the image into uneven thirds and only shows 2/3's.
Lindisfarne.ttf
notice the zero
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Glyph was originally created in AutoCad, exported as pdf to photoshop, converted to jpeg. Height 500px, 300dpi. I've been doing this method for some time with no problems but occasionally this would happen. Am I missing something?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: images split on loading into FC

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Not much anyone can test without the source images. We will need both the PDF and the JPG image.

I wonder why you're not opening the PDF directly in FontCreator. Which version are you using?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

Sorry about that. PDF won't open directly in FC, using version 5.6Pro.
Attachments
0-fill.pdf
PDF
(486.61 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
0.pdf
original PDF-AutoCAD
(49.61 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

I can't upload JPG file. Too large ... I've tried resizing and still too large. Any suggestions?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 6.x can import vector PDF files, but there are no contours in 0-fill.pdf — it only contains a bitmap.

0.pdf does contain contours, but not smooth curves so that's not much use either. If using AutoCad, then PNG is probably your best choice — they're much smaller than JPG for only 2 colours.

Looking at 0-fill.pdf your design is just like any normal zero, but the contours in 0.pdf are quite different — more like an outline font. I can import that into FontCreator 6.5, but the result is lots of nodes as the "curves" are made of straight lines. Maybe there something wrong with AutoCad's PDF output settings? I don't use it.

I opened 0.pdf in PagePlus X6, and filled the contours to get a usable design, but it may not be what you intended because the inner lines are not joined into a contour. I exported the result as a PNG, which is only 10 Kbytes, so there is no problem attaching it here.
Attachments
0.png
0.png (9.62 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I exported the image in 0.pdf to JPG — its quite small, and there is no problem attaching it here.

If that's the design you want, then I don't see what the problem is — it is big enough to give a decent result when imported.
Attachments
0-fill .jpg
0-fill .jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 6328 times
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

What size did you export 0.pdf to jpg at? I'll change mine to match. Could be AutoCAD settings I'll check them. Yes, original AutoCAD file is outline, the intention was variations on the typeface without redrawing all the characters. Just change the fill in photoshop. Not to mention faster than coloring in by hand.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I exported the JPG from PDF-XChange from your file @ 300 dpi.
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

Saved PDF as a png after fill in photoshop. It works!! Woohoo! Thank you! There are no PDF controls in AutoCAD unlike Photoshop. Again thank you! Now to get this baby finished.