testing new font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
MichelleW

testing new font

Post by MichelleW »

I've never had this problem before, but it could be because I have a new computer and just need to upgrade. I have recently finished a new font design, gotten all the glyphs loaded and went to test the font. I get the following error message; "Font is not valid, make sure all required Microsoft Naming Fields are available." Sounds like a simple fix, but as far as I can tell they are anyway. Either I'm missing something ... or I just need to upgrade FC. Using version 5.6 Pro.

Old computer ran under Windows XP Pro, new one Windows 7.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: testing new font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try running the Autonaming wizard from the Tools menu.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

Did that once, several times actually, just tried it again. Same error message.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Can you attach the font ?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

Here goes ...
Lindisfarne.ttf
(29.36 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I get the same error in FontCreator 6.5 Professional. I don't see what's wrong at the moment. You may have to wait for Erwin to see this thread.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The problem lies with the mapping of the Initials Capitals to the "Specials" character block. It is best to use the Private Use Area for these glyphs.

In the attached modified version of your font I have remapped the glyphs to the Private Use Area mappings that I use for Initial Forms in my own OpenType fonts.

As the name suggests, the Private Use Area can be used to map glyphs as you wish, but I have established my own preferred areas using the Decimal code-points:

58065 is Initial Capital A
58066 is Initial Capital B
58090 is Initial Capital Z

58097 is Petite Capital A
etc.
Attachments
Lindisfarne.ttf
(29.68 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have added some font metrics to your Initial Capitals, as they were all zero advance width.

To preview these glyphs, select them in the glyph overview, and use the shortcut "P" to show the Preview Toolbar. The selected glyphs will be previewed. The text string can be copied from this toolbar, and pasted into the text sample used in the Font Test window.
Preview PUA.png
Preview PUA.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
MichelleW

Post by MichelleW »

Ahh, said the blind man, now I see. Thank you very much for all of your help. I had wondered about using Specials over Private Use Areas, now I know. I knew kerning would need work, that's why I was trying to test the font. Again, thank you.
:)