Generate Postscript Name for Mu/Micro

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Generate Postscript Name for Mu/Micro

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This seems like a bug, or is it just an legacy of earlier postscript name assignments out of our control?

If I generate a postscript name in the Glyph Properties dialogue for ANSI character 181 (Micro Sign), the name generated is "mu."

If I generate a postscript name in the Glyph Properties dialogue for Greek small letter mu, the name generated is "uni03BC."

If I generate a postscript name in the Glyph Properties dialogue for Greek small letter pi, the name generated is "pi" as expected, as it is for all other glyphs in the Basic Greek character set.

Is there any file one can edit to change the postscript names generated by FontCreator?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Generate Postscript Name for Mu/Micro

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Does anyone know the answer to this?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Yes. In the original postscript standard, which predated Unicode, the micro sign was named "mu", and it was used as the lower case Greek mu in Greek code pages. When Unicode disunified mu from the micro character (which is script=common), the Greek mu ended up with a systematic name, uniXXXX. Other letters, like pi, did not end up getting disunified, so they were able to keep their previous names.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Excellent answer. Thank you for that!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology