Auto leading in Photoshop

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Ned Ludd

Auto leading in Photoshop

Post by Ned Ludd »

Possibly not a problem that anyone here can help with but I thought I'd try anyway.

The leading on my new typeface is way out (too squashed) when typed in Photoshop. Oddly it goes the other way (overspaced) in Office. Shouldn't it be the same in any application? I've tried to add an enormous line gap in the metrics window of Font Creator, just to test it, but Photoshop seems to ignore it. It's not the end of the world as I can manually set the leading in PS but it has left me bewildered. What application should I test any fonts in to be sure of the actual leading?
leading.png
leading.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Auto leading in Photoshop

Post by Dick Pape »

Have you let FC calculate Format/Settings/Metrics? There is no need most of the time to manually adjust these values.
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Yep, all was calculated by FC and I have adjusted nothing.
I can't understand why they overlap. It may well be a Photoshop foible or, more likely, an error on my part but it would be nice to understand it (as you know, the plethora of horizontal guides and bearings baffles me somewhat).
Last edited by Ned Ludd on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Yes, the FC calculations did not change your values. I installed in and used it in Word 2003 -- everything looked normal. No idea way Photoshop does that.
howdoi.jpg
howdoi.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
(The is one kerning value (bj) which has the j as -3000 and should be -300).

NEXT!
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Cheers, Dick. A strange way for PS to behave but at least I know it's not a problem with the font now.