Kerning won't work properly

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brossibaer

Kerning won't work properly

Post by Brossibaer »

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the font creating and it's the first time that I'm trying to make a font on my own. Up to now I had no problem at all, cause it's quite easy using the Font Creator Program. Image But now that my font is nearly finished and I'm testing it in various programs, I realize that the kerning won't work in most of them. It doesn't work e.g. in MS Word, Paint Shop Pro 7 or Micrografx Designer 9. Whereas it works in Adobe Photo Shop 7.
Am I doing something wrong, or are these programs just not supporting kerning? Image
In this board I read that you can turn on/off kerning in MS Word. But actually I don't have that "kerning for fonts" field, that I could (un)check. (I'm using the German Version of Office XP.)

Thanks for your Image

Eva
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Within Word 97, 2000 2002 you have to select text that you want to apply kerning to and then select "Format -> Font" from the menu. Now press the "Character Spacing" tab and set the checkbox before "kerning for fonts:".

Let us know in case Word XP uses another setting.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Brossibaer

Post by Brossibaer »

OK, in German it's called "Unterschneidung". And I didn't know what that would mean. I was looking for something called "Kerning". :roll:
Acutally I did check that field before, but I didn't see any change. Obviously you have to mark the text before, right? Or set it as default.
But it seems to work now.

Well, now I know that I didn't do anything wrong creating that font; it's just the programs that seem to have trouble displaying them correctly. But I guess, I'll just have to live with that, right? :?

Anyway, thanks for your help, Erwin. :)

Groetjes,
Eva