Deleting Empty Glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jdk

Deleting Empty Glyphs

Post by jdk »

I just started using Font Creator a week or so ago. Really great program.

I have looked through the program help and through this forum without finding a solution to my problem:

I have a font that contains a lot of glyphs (almost 14,000). The problem is that about 3/4 of those glyphs show up as "empty" and the other 1/4 are simple. Is there a way to auotmatically delete these empty glyphs? Or possible sort in such a way that they would be grouped together and I could delete them manually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jdk
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try Font, Sort Glyphs, to see if that helps. You can use shift to select a range of glpyhs, and use the minus key on the numeric keypad to zoom out on the glyph overview, but 10,000 is still a lot of empty glyphs to delete. Where do people find these mega fonts?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jdk

Post by jdk »

Bhikkhu,
Thank you for the suggestion. However, it appears I do not have a sort option under Fonts. The version I am running is Version 4.0 (Build 4.0.0.134.49). From some of the other posts and the on-line manual, this does not appear to be the most recent version. Is this something that was added after the build I am running? Or did my boss order the wrong thing? Perhaps a "light" version instead of the real deal? I hope that is not the case.
As for the font, it is one of the ones that comes with Red Hat Linux. We are working on adding Japanese character support to our system and this one has enough Katakana/Hirigana/Kanji to use as a viable test font. It has a ton of empty glyphs that I'd like to remove though.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Nwe version is available for download. It includes the glyph sort feature among other improvemnts. Upgrading is free and painless.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jdk

Post by jdk »

Bhikkhu,

Thank you once again. The update was painless and I do have the sort option now. Unfortunately it doesn't sort them in a way that groups the empty glyphs together.

I will keep trying.

Regards,
jdk