font installation

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jayashree

font installation

Post by Jayashree »

I am not able to install my font from fontcreator7.0 , before installation it says "The font "NAVLIPI" is already installed. Currently the file is located at:
"c:\windows\fonts\navlipi.otf"". When I do a search on c:\windows\fonts folder I cannot find the font file. When I click on 'finish' it says "Could not complete font installation: Font installation failed."
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: font installation

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If FontCreator says that the font is installed, then it probably is. The font folder can be sorted by date modified to make it easier to find recently installed fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jayashree

Post by Jayashree »

I sorted on date modified as you suggested but could not find the file.
Jayashree

Post by Jayashree »

what are the other reasons that a font intallation can fail?
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

A font installation can fail because the font file is corrupt, but if FontCreator says that the font is already installed, then that must be the reason for the failure.

What version of Windows do you have, and how are you performing the search? If I go to the Windows Fonts folder on this Win7 system and type n in the Search box, it shows me the fonts which have 'n' at the beginning of one of the words in the name (plus a few that don't!). If I change the search string to na, the results are filtered still further (as you would expect). In my case, nap returns a couple of fonts with 'Napa' in the name but nav returns no results because I don't have any installed fonts fitting that criterion.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Jayashree

Post by Jayashree »

I did exactly whatyou have mentioned and it says 'no items match your search'. There only 5 fonts starting with n- narkisim, Niagara engraved, niagara solid, NSIM Sun and nyala in my windows/fonts folder. I will upload my font file. Please check if there is way to say it is corrupt.
Attachments
NAVLIPI.otf
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If I try to install it, I get the installation failed message.

If I try again, then I get the "Font is already installed" message. If I then open the Window Font folder, then it is there, and can be deleted.

Then I can go back to stage 1 again.

After validation, and removing all errors (contours with wrong directions, and intersecting co-ordinates), it still won't install.

If I double-click NAVLIPI.otf in Windows Explorer, I get an error message that its not a valid font file. Other *.otf files will open in FontView.

MainType doesn't find the font when I refresh the font library. I guess that its corrupted or protected in some way.

It was produced by FontLab.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jayashree

Post by Jayashree »

How do I resolve this issue?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The errors you received from FontCreator might have mislead you. Sorry for that. I'll see if we can improve this further.

The font file has invalid values for Win Ascent and Win Descent.
invalidmetrics.png
invalidmetrics.png (59.94 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
Click the Calculate button and try again.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I found that the font installed correctly after recalculating the metrics.

Note that the original font has a lot of validation errors, particularly contours with incorrect direction and intersecting co-ordinates, which might cause problems, although they might not prevent the font from being installed.
Validation Errors.png
Validation Errors.png (20.74 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
I attach the project file with all of the validation errors fixed.
Attachments
NAVLIPI.fcp
(46.9 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Jayashree

Post by Jayashree »

Thanks. I will work on fixing the errors and try to install.