Using dxf files to make TTF fonts from Gerber Omega

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pt_crusier_2002

Using dxf files to make TTF fonts from Gerber Omega

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

Been using Gerber Graphix Advantage and Omega Sign software for Monumental Drafting which creates vector files for fonts and designs. Have several Monumental Industry fonts that work under Gerber that I would like to make into TTF so they can be used in other programs besides Gerber, vector files can be exported as Adobe ai. files, eps files, dxf files. Is there a way using FontCreator to import these files so I can quickly create high quality ttf.

If so what would be the procedure in steps on how to do it. What letter size height do I need to make the vector files.

Have been trying making fonts using Corel Draw 6, but have not had much luck yet in making a usable ttf font.

Can scanning also be used to create the font vector outlines that can be of a high quality.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Using dxf files to make TTF fonts from Gerber Omega

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Export the individual glyphs as *.ai files and drag/drop a whole bunch of *.ai files into the FontCreator glyph overview from Windows Explorer.

To scale the imported glyphs, experiment with the settings in Options, Glyphs, Import Vector Based Images until you get the desired result.

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pt_crusier_2002

Well attached is a sample of my first OTF font I have created with FontCreator 7.5 it is a Monument Modified Roman font that only has upper case letters & numbers. Seem to work OK in Corel Draw 6. Sure it needs some work but for my first one not a bad attempt at using this program to create it, learn as you go, hopefully they will get better.
MONUFONTPDF.pdf
Pdf of My First Monument OTF Font
(17.84 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Also attached is the OTF font
TTF MONU 1-5 MOD ROMAN-RPD.ttf
OTF Monu Font
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
Last edited by pt_crusier_2002 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Nicely done. I hope you haven't found it to be a monumental effort! :D
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
pt_crusier_2002

Thanks for the approval of my first font, still learning more about this program every time I use it, more features that I discover with each use, hoping to figure out only the features I need to expedite the creation of all the Monument Standard Fonts that I need to make into usable TTF and OTF. Have 35-50 Industry Standard Font that need to be made into TTF and OTF

Still need to figure out what setting I need to set when importing vector outlines eps files from the clipboard to FontCreator, having my 90 degree straight corner serif modified to round corners that I have to go into the program an manually use the program to drag them back to square corners.

Tried using MyFont.com to see if it could match me up with any available fonts currently on the market through their What's the Font online program, did not have much success, shows me there is a need for the fonts I wish to create for our Monument Industry.