What Size Letters Should I make

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pt_crusier_2002

What Size Letters Should I make

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

The true type fonts I want to make will be used in Gerber Omega 5, a sign making program I use for Monumental Drafting, Letter size normally vary from 3/4" to 5" in size for use in drawings. When doing the vector outline for the font how tall should the upper case be made to reproduce well when converted for use in the Font Creator program to make a TTF font.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: What Size Letters Should I make

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It doesn't matter — since they are vectors, as long as they are all designed to the same proportion.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pt_crusier_2002

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

If I make my upper case letter characters vector outline say at 6 inch for each character does that increase the file size of the ttf font as say making the vector outlines say at 2".

I'm also noticing that when I imports eps file character outlines into Font Creator 7.5 that corners that were made with straight vector lines with sharp 90 degree corners now have a slight rounded corners is there anyway of preventing the change in this?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Slightly rounded corners will result if you import bitmap images. If you use vectors — ai or pdf — then you will get sharp corners and small TTF file sizes.

The TTF file size depends on how many glyphs there are, how many nodes are in each, and whether or not hinting is used. If the intended output is only for printing, then you don't really need to use hinting.

Edit: I just imported an EPS file to test, and it imports as a vector, without any rounded corners. Some EPS files contain bitmaps, however, so take care how you produce them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486