Font names

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
dekrohn

Font names

Post by dekrohn »

Font creator is great IMHO.

I set up some special fonts that are highly modified versions of another font.
They are essentially graphics.

I save the font as MyFont.ttf
In Windows 7, it shows as "MyFont Regular" so my programs can not find MyFont.TTF

I have tried everything under naming.

Any suggestions.

In the cmd window, I see MyFont.TTF in the fonts folder.
David Webber

Re: Font names

Post by David Webber »

dekrohn wrote:Font creator is great IMHO.

I set up some special fonts that are highly modified versions of another font.
They are essentially graphics.

I save the font as MyFont.ttf
In Windows 7, it shows as "MyFont Regular" so my programs can not find MyFont.TTF

I have tried everything under naming.

Any suggestions.

In the cmd window, I see MyFont.TTF in the fonts folder.
A couple of things:

1. the 'face name' is not necessarily the same as the file name, although if the Windows 7 font folder in the control panel shows your font as 'Myfont regular' than it looks like your face name is indeed MyFont.

2. Normally in windows programs (at least in C/C++ and probably in other languages) you ask for a font by face name rather than by file name (and you don't include the automatically added 'regular' bit - you just don't ask for bold or italic). However in C++, when you call the Windows CreateFont() or CreateFontIndirect() API to load a font, you have to specify a whole host of parameters in addition to the face name, and (perversely perhaps) some of them are given higher priority than the actual face name, so it is as well to specify not only the face name but also other font parameters to match your font correctly. In some cases it can take a bit of experimentation!

Dave
dekrohn

Post by dekrohn »

David
Thank you
You did not answer my question directly but certainly gave me a GREAT direction.

FYI - I am using an older version if iText to create pdf documents.
Strangely, in the create font call, they use the file name. This definitely works but when I open the pdf in AI CS6, it does not see the font file.

Now with your info, I am suspecting I am missing somethng in iText.
Will look tomorrow.

Regards and thank you
David
dekrohn

Post by dekrohn »

David
I think I screwed up the creation of the new font files.
I just posted another question as another topic.

David