How to make a combining diacritical mark glyph?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
fumiko

How to make a combining diacritical mark glyph?

Post by fumiko »

I just need 1 character to be added: V́ (It's the letter V with a acute above), but I'm really confused by the complicated OpenType compiling stuffs. Could anyone please help me with that? What do I have to do to make a combining diacritical mark glyph?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to make a combining diacritical mark glyph?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Making the glyph is the easy bit — copy the V and the acute accent in the Glyph overview, open a new blank glyph and paste. You don't need to use any OpenType features.

The hard part is knowing which code-point to use (I don't see v acute in any Unicode character set). In that case, you should assign it to any convenient code-point in the Private Use Area.

The next hard bit is figuring out how users will type it when using your font.

That is where OpenType features can be a help — if the user types ´ followed by V, then an OpenType feature could make the substitution automatically. However, not all applications support OpenType features. So tell us more about your intention for this font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
fumiko

Post by fumiko »

I'd like to edit a font for Photoshop using. The character should be easily and properly pasted, not have some damn look like this: V́. My Photoshop version has some trouble dealing with OTF files, though, so I need the font as TTF, with OpenType features, just like popular font such Times New Roman or Arial.
León Fridsma

Post by León Fridsma »

You can probably do this the easiest by defining this as a ligature. Simply create a new glyph as Bhikkhu Pesala suggested above and name it Vacute, set your OpenType export settings to "Custom script" and use this script:

Code: Select all

script latn {
  feature Ligatures;
}

feature Ligatures liga {
  lookup Ligatures;
}

lookup Ligatures {
  sub acute V -> Vacute;
}
Note that you can also replace or add "sub V acute -> Vacute;" if you want users to type the V before the acute
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Duplicate post on using Volt removed. It can be found in the Type Design Forum
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486