Word space edit glyph

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
kmarquart

Word space edit glyph

Post by kmarquart »

I use both MS Word and Libre Office Write and when I set the Paragraph (¶) and other hidden symbol marks [ON] the word-space mark (middle-dot/interpunct) isn't any character in my font. What am I missing to use a tiny middle-dot as when I use other PC provided fonts?

Interesting that MS Word and LO/OO use different glyphs for this purpose.
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpunct
Erwin Denissen

Re: Word space edit glyph

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The are several recommended glyphs as mentioned in the manual.

Especially take a look at the part about Recommended Glyphs - Other suggested glyphs:

middle dot
bullet
bullet operator

You can insert the characters through the Insert Characters feature, using these codepoints:

$00B7, $2022, $2219
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just add the middle-dot glyph to your font — copy the period glyph, and move it up a bit, or use Complete Composites. The latter method will scale the dot down by 85% and move it to the middle of the Caps Height.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Just add the middle-dot glyph to your font — copy the period glyph, and move it up a bit, or use Complete Composites. The latter method will scale the dot down by 85% and move it to the middle of the Caps Height.
Is there an explanation of this anywhere? There is very little detail in the FontCreator Help about what 'Complete Composites' is, and what it does.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Alfred wrote:Is there an explanation of this anywhere? There is very little detail in the FontCreator Help about what 'Complete Composites' is, and what it does.
There is more explanation and how to edit CompositeData.xml in the Complete Composites Tutorial thread.

Since it is something that few will need to do, it is not included in the Help file, but the Help file includes links to the Tutorials Page, where you will find a list of links to tutorials on advanced features.

This is the relevant code in CompositesData.xml

Code: Select all

<Composite><!-- Mid-dot -->
<GlyphMapping>183</GlyphMapping>
<InheritAdvanceWidth>32</InheritAdvanceWidth>
<InheritLSB>46</InheritLSB>
	<Member id="1">
	<GlyphMapping>46</GlyphMapping>
		<XScale>0.85</XScale>
		<YScale>0.85</YScale>
	</Member>
	<AlignVertical>
		<Source>
			<Position>CapHeight</Position>
			<Offset>-50%</Offset>
		</Source>
		<Dest>
			<Member>1</Member>
			<Position>Middle</Position>
		</Dest>
	</AlignVertical>
	</Composite>
It is very user-friendly, so I think you can work out what it does. As with all code, syntax is crucial. Make backups before meddling with the file, which is found in the installation folder\Composites\ subfolder.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It is very user-friendly, so I think you can work out what it does. As with all code, syntax is crucial. Make backups before meddling with the file, which is found in the installation folder\Composites\ subfolder.
Thanks. Please rest assured that I have no plans to meddle with that file! :shock:
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
kmarquart

Post by kmarquart »

Many thanks. The middle-dot recommendation did the job.
Kurt