Antialiasing again

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
David Webber

Antialiasing again

Post by David Webber »

Still having problems with antialiasing.

(Using FontCreator 7.5.0 build 519).

Taking on board the idea of using grey-scale and/or grid-fitting according to size of font, I've been experimenting as follows.

Leave the default for the moment: all the same up to 65535
Switch between grey-scale, grid-fitting, neither, both, and export the font.
View it in the 'test TTF font' window.

Examine the results by doing a screen capture and then looking at a magnified view (where each pixel becomes a discernible square) in a graphics editor.

It appears to make absolutely no difference which setting (grey-scale, grid-fitting, neither, both) is used. The images below are obtained from a 10point font.
Letters a-g magnified
Letters a-g magnified
a-g.gif (7.96 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
The test window
The test window
fonttest.gif (31.96 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
Not sure, either, why the pixels are coloured.

Is the setting (grey-scale, grid-fitting, neither, both) supposed to show up in the test window?

Dave
Erwin Denissen

Re: Antialiasing again

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The colors you see are due to sub-pixel font rendering. I suspect you have turned on ClearType, and are using an LCD monitor.

What you see on screen depends on the specific rasterizer, the screen type (CRT, LCD, etc), the display quality settings, and what related information is stored in the font itself.

Do send me the font file, and I'll show screen shots when the display quality is set to non-anti-aliased, ClearType, and anti-aliased on Windows 7.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
David Webber

Post by David Webber »

Erwin Denissen wrote:The colors you see are due to sub-pixel font rendering. I suspect you have turned on ClearType, and are using an LCD monitor.
What you see on screen depends on the specific rasterizer, the screen type (CRT, LCD, etc), the display quality settings, and what related information is stored in the font itself.
OK - I am using Windows 8.0 with whatever default settings that nice Mr Dell may have set on the machine :-)
Do send me the font file, and I'll show screen shots when the display quality is set to non-anti-aliased, ClearType, and anti-aliased on Windows 7.
Thanks for this offer. I wanted to do some final tests to make sure I wouldn't be wasting your time and, guess what, I found what I was doing wrong!

Under File/Export/ExportSettings, I had "Hinting: keep original" as I was interpreting 'original' to mean the settings I had put in there using the Font/Smoothing menu (as when I started there wasn't any other 'original' font). When I switch to "Hinting: Auto hinting", things start looking a lot more satisfactory!

Onwards and upwards!

Dave
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Excellent progress! Thank you for letting us know.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology