Imported image lacks right hand contour

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
sjlevine34

Imported image lacks right hand contour

Post by sjlevine34 »

Please do not laugh at this question as it clearly shows I do not know my finger from a coathook when it comes to Font Creator.

I am creating a symbolic font that I am using with my microsoft access programs where I have to use a textbox. I already created a symbol of a lock for the letter A, which I use when I have to indicate that someone has a record in one screen.

I am now trying to create a symbol that looks like a button for the letter B.
The image consists of a right-pointing arrowhead with black areas to the bottom and right side, simulating the raised bevels of a button. When I import the symbol into Font Creator 4.1, I lose the right sided bevel.

I prepared the symbol using Microsoft Paint and then went into Font Creator 4.1 (Build 4.1.11.159.49) where I opened the font file. I see my lock symbol in the Glyph Overview window A cell. I then click on the B cell, bringing up the Glyph Edit Window. Clicking on tools in the menubar, I select import image from the resultant drop down menu. Clicking on load, I select my image (bmp file) from the windows file dialog box and double click on it, bringing it into both the source image and contours generated image window. I then click on generate, bringing the image into the edit window. Both bevels are present on the image. However, when I click on test in the fonts drop down menu, the bottom bevel displays fine but the right sided bevel does not.

I have tried this with the default multiplier setting of 4.0 and then manually setting it on the glyph tab to 3.75 times.

How do I get the glyph to retain the right sided shaded area?

sjl
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Is this something like what you want to do? Look how it is made from two separate contours. The white arrow shape doesn't exist, but the mind thinks it does.

If you can upload the picture to your webspace, then post a link here in the form:

Image the picture will display here, as my example above. It doesn't need to be too big. 200 pixels wide is adequate.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
sjlevine34

Post by sjlevine34 »

I just set the examples up in http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sjl_pr ... prodigynet

If you need to, cut and paste the link.

I actually made the glyph slightly narrower in paint and then imported it. Still does not display the right border when tested, but the full thing does display when the font is displayed in windows and only the right border displays when it is used in my application, which, while not complete, is in fact more desirable than what I originally wanted.

That "button" displaying the font is, in fact, not a command button, but, instead a text box that has been manipulated to look like a command button as much as possible. I don't think one can make a command button data dependent in a continuous form. My other character of this font is deployed in a similar manner, only it displays only.

sjl
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Your link does not work for me. I am told that the page is unavailable and that I must refer to the owner.

You'd be better off importing with the excellent new improved import feature in the latest release of FCP at:
viewtopic.php?t=500

Simple question:
Did you set the right-bearing-margin-line (dotted) to the right of your complete glyph in the glyph Edit window in order to get a right bearing (white space) after the glyph.

You could save yourself a lot of work by using a an appropriate symbol font in the Samples toolbar and click-dragging components to a glyph Edit window. This would obviate the laborious image-designing in Paint. Some adjustments would have to be made to the copied elements.

I use a free font (Marvosym) by Martin Vogel.

Joe.
sjlevine34

Post by sjlevine34 »

Took your advice about the right hand margin dotted line. Also redid glyph using contours. Worked beautifully. Thanks.

sjl