Kerning import failed at Font Creator 8.0 (few errors)

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Lucas

Kerning import failed at Font Creator 8.0 (few errors)

Post by Lucas »

Hello Guys,

I was using FC v5 so far. Few days ago I've bought FontCreator 8 Professional Edition and have a problem with kerning import. I always receive such (or similar) error, no matter what file format (.txt, .doc, .rtf) or kerning file (mine or someone else) I'm trying to import:
Import failed due to one or more errors: Syntax error:"<keyword>" expected but "{" found
Only "X" found value at the end is changing.

The result is I can't start to set my kerning!

Is this a bug or my fault? How to start with kerning in FC v8.0
León Fridsma

Re: Kerning import failed at Font Creator 8.0 (few errors)

Post by León Fridsma »

Unfortunately FontCreator 8 can no longer read the old kerning script format that was used for FontCreator 5 and 6.

The easiest way to get your kerning to work in FontCreator 8 is to open an existing font containing your kerningp pairs (or create a simple font in FontCreator 5) and open this font in FontCreator 8. Your kerning will then be automatically converted into the new format.

If you want your pairs saved for future projects just export the kerning table from FontCreator 8.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

León, thank you for your quick answer, I'll try this!

OK, so the last question: how can I "turn on" letter pairs only (without the predefined kerning)? I don't want to use kerning from my previous font (the new one is a script font so it needs completely different kerning pairs), I want to make it from scratch. All I need now are letter pairs and I'll be more than happy :).

You wrote:
If you want your pairs saved for future projects just export the kerning table from FontCreator 8.
Could you tell me how to do this?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Lucas wrote:OK, so the last question: how can I "turn on" letter pairs only (without the predefined kerning)? I don't want to use kerning from my previous font (the new one is a script font so it needs completely different kerning pairs), I want to make it from scratch. All I need now are letter pairs and I'll be more than happy :).
Right-click on the Pair Adjustment lookup and use the Autokern feature. All of the pairs will be adjusted to suit the new font. You might need to add some more. You can clear any small values using the Trim function.
To export the kerning pairs, right-click on the lookup and select "Export."

Improvements to Kerning
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Guys, I don't know how to thank you! Great, now everything is clear.

All the best for you.