Kerning does not show

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Kerning does not show

Post by Mike Thompson »

I added kerning to my font using [Format]->[Kerning]
but it does not show after installing the font.
I installed and displayed the font with The Font Thing.

Can kerning be disabled in some way?

Mike Thompson
http://mikethompsonpaintings.com
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Not all apps support kerning, unfortunately. Try updating your app or using another.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Mike Thompson »

I wanted to use kerning to get the characters to overlap, however
I now realize that I can use left and right bearings to acheive this.
Kerning seems best for dealing with special cases such as "T."
however the overlap I'm interested in is nearly always present.

See http://mikethompsonpaintings.com/fonts.
This example needs a lot of tweaking and unfortunately tweaking
bearings is a lot harder than using the kerning tool.

Will all applications treat these bearings to same way?

Mike[/url]
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Ok, first things first. Are you using a Semitic word processor that handles Right to Left input or are you typing everything backward? If you have a word processor that does RTL input, I have no idea what issues that could bring up. As for left side bearings and overlap, most word processors handle it well, but I have run into problems before. I started by making a polytonic Greek font, which has several diacritic characters. Since the breath and accent marks were input after the vowel, I had a negative left side bearing. Word Pad completely balked at this for screen presentation - it acted as if the left side bearing were 0 - but I don't think I ever had a problem when it came to printing. As it is, I think it was really the only program that had a problem, and even the most basic word processors tend to do well. So I'm gonna say that negative left side bearing is probably the way to go.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Left bearing and x=0

Post by Mike Thompson »

BEARINGS. I looked at a number of common latin fonts such as Arial. Most characters have the left bearing at x=0. Also most characters have quite a bit of space on between the left bearing and the left edge of the glyph. Also there is a similar amount of space between the right bearing and the right edge of the glyph. The only exceptions are 'pointy' characters like A, V, W etc and t, k, r etc.

THE LEFT BEARING. In many cases I want the left side of a Hebrew glyph to overlap the right side of the following glyph on its left. I can do this without using kerning by having the glyph overlap the left bearing. Maybe also I could have some of the glyph to the left of x=0.

I wonder if any applications might truncate (not display) the part of the glyph that is to the left of x=0 or that is to the left of the left bearing.
Does anyone know of any fonts that stick out on the left this way?

Mike