Export as ttf

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Export as ttf

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

Can FontCreator export a font as .ttf instead of .otf ? It seems like I can't find any option to specify .ttf in the export dialogue.
Does it even matter?

I tried not including opentype layout options in the export dialogue, but it still creates a .otf file.
I'm probably confused.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Re: Export as ttf

Oh - I found it.

When you are in the Export Dialogue, and you browse for a file location, you can choose *.ttf in the file dialogue's combobox.

I expected to see it in the Export Options.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No, it doesn't matter. Either *.ttf or *.otf can be used whether or not the font contains OpenType features or a digital signature.

It is, however, a useful convention to name fonts without OpenType features as *.ttf and those with them as *.otf.

See this earlier thread in the Specification forum.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Brother Gabriel-Marie

So, in the end, you can use the extensions interchangeably. But it is good practice to use .otf if you include opentype layout features, and .ttf if you don't. This sounds reasonable.
Why doesn't FontCreator switch the extension to .ttf automatically if you don't export the opentype layout features?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:So, in the end, you can use the extensions interchangeably. But it is good practice to use .otf if you include opentype layout features, and .ttf if you don't. This sounds reasonable.
Why doesn't FontCreator switch the extension to .ttf automatically if you don't export the opentype layout features?
Some would like that while others would be really frustrated if it happened.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology