Legal

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Palendrome

Legal

Post by Palendrome »

Hello,

On request from a client I am modifying an existing font to include punctuation that was missing. The client has contacted the creator and obtained permission but did not ask for any written confirmation. How does she go about fulfilling the legal requirements and could someone explain the use of the less obvious legal fields in the font properties dialogue. Thank you
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Legal

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't think you need to change anything on the legal tab.

I suggest changing the font revision on the General tab, and let the date modified will be changed on export.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Palendrome

Post by Palendrome »

Hi Bhikkhu,

Thanks for this. I had not thought of it that way. We changed the name of the font to ensure that the altered version is unique but of course that raises the idea that it may be a "new" font - not a modification of the existing one.

Quite rightly one would retain the original creators details in the legal section so will pass that on. Thank you
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

By changing the fontname, anyone who has used the old font will have to modify their documents. That's a big disadvantage if all they want is more glyphs. Changing the version number and date modified is enough to let users know that the font has been updated.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486