created font and installed but is not in my list. trial vers

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
labaffl

created font and installed but is not in my list. trial vers

Post by labaffl »

I downloaded the trial version and opened a font (times bold) edited letters and such and then saved it, installed it and then opened up ms word, but it is not in the dropdown list. I tried saving it with a name of a font that was already installed, but then when I tried to use, even though it was in the list, the letters I typed were invisible. Is this a block in the trial version?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There are no limitations to the trial version. Try saving the font with a new name before installing it. If it is still not recognised, try rebooting.

Most problems are caused by incorrect mapping. If you have just modified existing characters in a standard font, this should not be a problem.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
robertjm

font not showing up in Word, but IS showing up in WrdPrfct!!

Post by robertjm »

The problem seems to be something specific to Microsoft Word. I rebooted my computer and the name appears as a blank in my dropdown list. However, if choose the "blank" font, it allows me to use it.

I then went to WordPerfect 11, and there is no such problem. The font shows up in the dropdown list as expected. ARGH!!

Robert
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There are no limitations to the trial version. Try saving the font with a new name before installing it. If it is still not recognised, try rebooting.

Most problems are caused by incorrect mapping. If you have just modified existing characters in a standard font, this should not be a problem.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello robertjm -- We had this problem the other day but my system is too slow to find the reference.

It IS related to how the characters are mapped. That is, MS Word tries to display the name of the font in the pull down menu in the font itself. When those letters of the name are not mapped "properly", Word shows what it has, which is blanks.

To prove this you can go to Word: Tools/Customize/Other and unclick "List Font Names in Their Font". This should give you the name of your font in your default font (Arial, Tahoma, or whatever).

It begs the question of how to fix your font to show the way you expect. Someone else can help you. Sorry for the partial answer.

Dick Pape
robertjm

Post by robertjm »

A ha!!!! That would explain it!

I was following the tutorial that only has you create an "A" and a "B." Since my font's name was "MyHandwriting" there were no letters to appear. :lol:
Dick Pape wrote:Hello robertjm -- We had this problem the other day but my system is too slow to find the reference.

It IS related to how the characters are mapped. That is, MS Word tries to display the name of the font in the pull down menu in the font itself. When those letters of the name are not mapped "properly", Word shows what it has, which is blanks...

...Dick Pape
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Holy popsicle-stick-on-a-rope! Your font only had two characters and you didn't tell us!? For the record, that sort of information is highly pertinent. Next time you have a problem, please make sure to include things like that. One of the few assumptions that we can make pretty regularly on these forums is that problems involve a full complement of glyphs from whatever character set the font is for.

For the record, some other assumptions that we make regularly are that you have not altered the font with a program besides FCP, and that you have installed it on your system.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

We might want to put a foot note into that tutorial about "how to install and view" in MS Word. Luckily, robertjm could see it in WordPerfect, so he knew it wasn't him or FCP.

Dick