Preserving VOLT font tables

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fred Goldman

Preserving VOLT font tables

Post by Fred Goldman »

Is there any way to preserve VOLT font tables when opening and saving a font in FontCreator 9? This was possible in 5.6.
Fred
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Preserving VOLT font tables

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't have FC5.6 installed, but on opening a font with a VOLT table in FC6.5 I see that there are unsupported tables for DLIG, GPOS, GSUB, etc.

So, I am wondering, if you have FC5.6 why you don't just use that for editing your font if you wish to preserve the tables?

As far as I can tell, open a font with VOLT tables in FC9 will either convert them or strip them. You might have to wait for a definitive answer from Erwin about that.

Perhaps there is some way to export tables from VOLT and then reimport them using VOLT after editing the font in FontCreator 9?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

That was what I was asking. Should I keep 5.6 installed? It sounds like yes.
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No that isn't possible, but why do you need to preserve them?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fred Goldman

Post by Fred Goldman »

It's a good question. I have actually found the FC conversion of OT tables to be superb. I haven't had an issue so far. But when I don't need to make any changes to the OT features themselves and I just need to adjust a glyph I would like to not "touch" the OT tables if not necessary.
Fred
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad to know FontCreator is all you need when you want to modify your fonts!

If for some reason you need to use VOLT, I think you can easily open the font file in VOLT and import your original VOLT project. But if you ever feel you need to do this, please let us know why, so we can further improve FontCreator.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology