Font woes

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Steelangel

Font woes

Post by Steelangel »

My font characters are connected by an upper bar, from which the glyph 'hangs'. Kind of like Sanskrit or Hindi.

However, in my font, I'm having a hell of a time trying to match up the bar, so that it is one continuous stroke. Depending on what character I type, the bar does not seem to connect smoothly at most point sizes.

Using a few test numbers just to give an idea. These are not the actual values.

The bar on each glyph is a rectangle and has the coordinates: (30,0) (100,0) (100,1000) (30,1000). The left and right borders of the glyph are set at the ends of the bar.

Since the bar is set to the -exact- same position on each glyph, it should be in the same position on each character, right? For most of my characters, it works. However!

If I 'add glyph' and the copy and paste a glyph into the empty box, and then test the font, the newly pasted glyph's bar does not connect correctly at most point sizes. If I 'edit' the new glyph, and compare it with the old one, I find that the bar is aligned correctly, with the same coordinate values - what i'd expect from a cut and paste. At very large point sizes, the bar seems to match better, but I'm talking about 1000 point type. As the font size decreases, the obviousness of the bar's problems increases.

I don't want this font to look terribly unprofessional, why does it seem like some characters won't match up correctly? Did I miss something?
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello Steelangel ..

When I copy a glyph to a newly inserted position it copies the curves, but not the Left Side Bearing and Advance Width values which would change the alignment of the resulting glyph.

I'm not sure that is your problem but it's a nice answer!

Dick
Steelangel

Post by Steelangel »

Though it is a good answer, it's not the right one. The misalignment is vertical, not horizontal.

I read something about glyph 'hinting'. I have no idea what that means. Does hinting cause glyphs so appear unaligned? Perhaps one glyph has hinting, and one not. How can I tell?
Steelangel

Post by Steelangel »

And to answer my own question, it apparently is hinting. turning it off solves my issues.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Steelangel - Okay, I got another one!

Glad your problem was solved. The suggestion of Hinting being a cause doesn't surprise me as I've seen it involved in peculiar things before.

Hinting is shown on the glyph edit window with an "H" in upper left side. When hinting goes away the H does too. A font cannot be hinted by FCP. In fact, if you do anything to a glyph shape, Hinting is stripped out.

You can drop hinting completely by removing the tables (Format / Tables / Remove Hinting).

DP
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

On the other hand, hints (or their absence) should NOT influence printing, as it only works on screen.