OSX Problem

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fireplayer

OSX Problem

Post by Fireplayer »

First of all I am a font newbie and and definitely not knowledgeable about font specifics.
I have a True Type font I purchased a while back and it works fine on Windows. I have opened it FontCreator and saved it with no problems.

I have installed it on a Mac and the font installs fine.
When I try to make it bold or italic in an OS X application I am writing, it dos not work. When calling CTFontCreateCopyWithSymbolicTraits with bold or italic, the returned font reference in null. Anybody know what is happening?
MikeW

Re: OSX Problem

Post by MikeW »

There should have been no reason to modify the font for OSX. It also may not be permitted in the user agreement.

You need to have the distinct styles. So a normal, bold, italic and so on.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: OSX Problem

Post by Alfred »

From this thread on Stack Overflow, it looks as though CTFontCreateCopyWithSymbolicTraits() does exactly what its name suggests: in other words, it creates faux fonts for the bold and italic styles, so no editing of the original font file is needed. I guess it's just a matter of making sure that you get the parameters right, but (as with all faux fonts) the results will generally not be as good as using a separate font file for each of the additional styles.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10