Setting FontCreator as the Default for TTF

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Setting FontCreator as the Default for TTF

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't seem to be able to set FontCreator as the default program for opening *.ttf or *.otf files using Windows Explorer, Open With.

This is what I tried:
  1. I selected a *.ttf or *.otf font in Windows Explorer
  2. O choose the Open With menu
  3. I browsed to C:\Program Files (x86)\High-Logic FontCreator 9.0\ and selected FontCreator.exe
The program does not appear on the list of available programs for opening TrueType font files.
Open With.png
Open With.png (73.33 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Choose Program.png
Choose Program.png (97.7 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Setting FontCreator as the Default for TTF

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The next upcoming update will ensure FontCreator is listed as one of the recommended programs for TrueType and OpenType fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

May I ask, why is this necessary/needed/wanted?

Certainly should be tested on a range of OS versions as to whether it interferes with the OS' normal operation for installing (all manner of installing), managing and even previewing fonts.

Even if there are no issues, I still cannot see why to invest the time in such a feature. It's not onerous to use the menu system.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Most programs have an option to open supported file types from Windows Explorer, and I don't see why FontCreator should be any different. I can set *.ttf (though not *.otf) to open in IrfanView by default or from the Open With menu so why not FontCreator?

It is optional, after all, though maybe fonts should not be associated by default on installing FontCreator as that could mess with users' preference for previewing fonts in FontView or other programs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486