Disapearing I

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonny31

Disapearing I

Post by Jonny31 »

Hey,
Have just created my first font, however for some reason the letter 'i' and a tall letter before it (E.g. f) both disappear (go blank) when the font is used in InDesign for example. Probably something really simple. Any answers? Cheers :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Disapearing I

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Which version of FontCreator are you using?

The most likely reason is that you have enabled Standard Ligatures, but have not yet created an Alphabetic presentation form for fi.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonny31

Post by Jonny31 »

I am currently using font creator 9.0 home edition.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Note that you're entitled to a free upgrade to version 9.1. Use Help, Check for update.

Have you created a glyph for fi? Code point $FB01
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Ensure the side bearings are not out of scope. If that doesn't help, then you might have added some unwanted OpenType features (or a hinting issue), but it is hard to tell from here. If this still doesn't help, then do use our ticket system (through customer support) and attach the font project.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jonny31

Post by Jonny31 »

Thank you for your response, have fixed the issue and learn't something new. Cheers!
Jonny31

Post by Jonny31 »

How would I find the codepoint for other ligatures eg. Pe ?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Jonny31 wrote:How would I find the codepoint for other ligatures eg. Pe ?
As far as I know, there is no Unicode code-point assigned to Pe ligature, but that doesn't stop you adding one to your fonts using the Private Use Area, or using the OpenType Discretionary, Historical, or Standard Ligature features to substitute it when the user types Pe.

If to go to Tools, Options, Advanced, Open Data folder, Copy User Data files, then Open User Data Folder, in the Composites folder you will find CompositesData.xml. Open this file in a text editor and search for "ligature" to find all ligatures that are defined.

As well as the usual AE, OE, ae oe, and ff, fi, ligatures, there are some Historical Ligatures as assigned by the Medieval Unicode Font Initiative (not yet accepted by Unicode).