OTF files associated with FC

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
MikeW

OTF files associated with FC

Post by MikeW »

I do not desire for OTF fonts to be associated with FC.

I could not see a preference to turn this off. When I go to add fonts to my font manager, I do not desire they appear like projects.
Capture-000068.png
Further, I want to be able to double-click on a font and have Windows' handle the preview.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: OTF files associated with FC

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

They are not associated with FontCreator by default. Mine preview in FontView.exe

You can change the file associations from Windows Explorer.
OTF File Association.png
OTF File Association.png (17.34 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I just installed the newest FC update. It associated them upon installation.

I did reassociate them via Windows. FC in no way should have done so.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've tested this new functionality with both Windows 7 and Windows 10, and both didn't automatically assign FontCreator as the default program.

It is possible Windows did assign it in case no other software was assigned to that file extension, but I can't verify this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hello Erwin,

No, since time began, TTF and OTF files have been associated with the Windows font viewer application here. When I did the update, OTF files were assigned to be associated with FC as shown in the screen shot. I did nothing to make that choice.

TTF files behaved in a standard Windows manner. That is, after the FC update and I double-clicked on a TTF file, Windows recognized there was a new application that could be set to use. Windows font viewer was listed as the default in the dialog that popped up but I could have at that time chosen FC.

Like I said, the OTF files were simply associated with FC.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit, but likely that is not the issue. At the end of the day, reassociating them with Windows font viewer reset it as the default application. It did cause me to double check what types of files I was adding to my font manager, though.

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is not how it is supposed to work. I'm sorry.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

No worries. It did catch me off guard and I initially thought I had moved some font projects unwittingly into the font folder for my font manager. I have accidentally done that before...

Mike