spacing different on screen than in print

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
LouG

spacing different on screen than in print

Post by LouG »

I needed to print a musical flat character using a font that doesn't have one, so I copied one from a font that did to the font that I want to use. When I print the text out it looks just fine, however on screen there is a large gap between the new character and any next character. Is there a way to get the characters to show properly on screen?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: spacing different on screen than in print

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Reduce the right side-bearing of the glyph in the Glyph Edit window by dragging the vertical line, or by manually editing the side-bearings in the Glyph Properties dialogue (shortcut F3), or on the Bearings tab of the Transform Toolbar (shortcut F6).
Adjusting Side-bearings.png
Adjusting Side-bearings.png (24.75 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
LouG

Re: spacing different on screen than in print

Post by LouG »

I tried as you suggested, with no improvement on the different spacing between screen and printer. I tried many different ways to solve the problem. Finally after hours of trying this and that, I noticed that the musical flat character I pasted into the font that I want to use was the % sign character, which is a wide character. I had observed that some applications, such as Word looked the same on screen and printed, however, other applications, such as Excel & Access, did not. It was as if the full width % sign had been typed. The solution turned out to be simple:

Format>Settings>Header-Font Header Flags Uncheck the "Instructions may alter advance width" box

Apperently some applications alter the spacing of some characters!!

Thank you very much for you input. It did seem that it should be the correct solution. Fonts are so much more complicated than I had ever expected.

Lou Gerovac