Changing letter height

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
The Mickster

Changing letter height

Post by The Mickster »

I've found that on all fonts I make, the relative heights of the letters on-screen change with different point sizes. For example, 'e' will be shorter than 'm' in 10pt but taller in 16pt. How do I fix this, as it makes my fonts no good as screen fonts or in bitmap graphics. They all print at the right size, though.
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

When a glyph is shown on screen it has to be converted to a bitmap, a rectangle of pixels, which will be switched on or off. The rasterizer decides which pixels to switch on and off based on numerical values in the glyph. In many cases rounding differences occur. This explains the different look at different point sizes. To correct this you should 'hint' your glyphs, which cannot be done in Font Creator.
The Mickster

Thanks

Post by The Mickster »

Erwin, is there any chance we can hint our glyphs in a later build, plz?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Although it is still on the to-do list, I'm not sure if hinting capabilities will be added to the Font Creator Program.

If you want to hint your font then you could use Microsoft Visual TrueType (VTT) to add hinting to your fonts. VTT is a tool from Microsoft for graphically instructing TrueType and OpenType fonts.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/creators.htm

I have never used this tool, so let me know your results.

You could also try this inside the Font Creator Program:
Select "Format -> Grayscale". Delete all entries. Now add a new entry and set "Grayscale rendering".
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

I think that more helpful would be the ability to create embedded bitmaps. Hinting is tough even with the best tools out there. Probably anyone on these forums could quickly alter - to suit their needs - a bitmap created by the rasterizer. It would not take long to have their font display pretty well at problematic sizes.

I'll put something to that effect in the requests forum.