Diacritics in a contextual cursive font?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Diacritics in a contextual cursive font?

Post by Jonne Haven »

Erwin and friends,

Was fooling around with tildes and wondered if it were possible to use them over letters in a contextual cursive font. I found the code, completed the letter, entered the alt+code, and the diacritic shows but does not allow for attachment to letters around it as far as I experimented. Is this an impossibility?

Thanks,

Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Diacritics in a contextual cursive font?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If users want ñ ã õ etc., then that's what they should type.

If they type n~a~ or o~ then that's what they should get. If contextual ligatures changed those strings to ñ ã and õ it would be bad font design in my opinion.

I do use contextual ligatures in my fonts for something similar, where aa converts to ā ii to ī etc., but that a very specific feature for the benefit of Pali scholars who are familiar with typing Pali using the Velthuis system. They would know and expect that behaviour if they enabled the contextual ligatures in my fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Re: Diacritics in a contextual cursive font?

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not at that level, I just found that a diacritic letter will not connect to it's surrounding letters in cursive...and wondered why. That's all. Wondered if there was some way. I'm guessing not.

Thanks,

Jonne