How do you get a font to go right-to-left?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
OregonPete

How do you get a font to go right-to-left?

Post by OregonPete »

Hello everybody! :-D

Since this seems to be a completely new question, I'm opening a new topic for it.

I've been attempting to get my Selanian font to work right-to-left, similar to other Semitic fonts such as Arabic or Hebrew. When I compare my font in Font Creator to the right-to-left fonts in my system, I can't see any difference. I have the language support installed and Hebrew, for instance, works fine going right-to-left in MS Word.

Does anyone know how they get it to work? Any ideas?

Thanks

Peter
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Font Creator Program cannot create right-to-left fonts because it requires the GSUB (glyph substitution) table which doesn't work with the product. This is a feature that does exist in OpenType fonts.

You can make a TrueType font and then use Microsoft, Apple or Adobe's free utilities to convert it to Opentype.

Check out the Microsoft Typography web site for information on making OpenType fonts. There are free tools, some specs, and even some articles explaining how to use VOLT (Visual OpenType Layout tool).
http://www.microsoft.com/typography
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

:idea: Another idea (if you don't have too many characters): Map your characters to Hebrew Unicode values. Windows will think it's Hebrew and make it go right-to-left.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

Right-to-left writing is problematic in regular Windows versions. Have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=311019 . One important quote from that page: In order to type in and edit right-to-left languages in a Microsoft Word document, you must install a localized version of Microsoft Windows for the specific language and configure Microsoft Word to type in that language.

So you need to find a third party text processor which supports right-to-left writing.
OregonPete

Post by OregonPete »

Hi Everybody! :-D

Yehuda, thanks! That's a really good idea!

Joop, I already have my system configured accordingly. Hebrew and Arabic are not a problem, and MS Word works fine with those languages. But thanks for taking the time to give me the hint ;-).

Bye Guys!

Peter
OregonPete

Post by OregonPete »

Hey Yehuda! :-D

Just wanted to inform you that your idea worked. I exchanged my characters for the Hebrew characters (after copying a Hebrew font) and then activated the Hebrew keyboard layout.

IT WORKED!!! :D

My font now goes right to left.

All I have to do now is solve the problem with the disappearing vowel diacritic (see the other topic I opened).

Thanks!

Peter
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

Peter,

Glad it worked :!: I hope you solve your other problem.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey