VERY simple fonts...?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Paul V.A.

VERY simple fonts...?

Post by Paul V.A. »

We're new to Font Creator, so excuse us if this has a simple solution.
We work with an industry specific program that generates bitmap fields which are than used by textile machines for sweater making. We have a "library" of two different sized alphabets, letters A-Z and numbers 1-9. The letters/numbers are only 24 and 28 pixels high with varying widths. We would like to create a special font for each of these alphabets so that they are accessible through the "TEXT" feature of our program. All of our normal Windows fonts are accessible in this "TEXT" feature and if we can get these two new fonts made it would speed things up dramatically for us, because we now have to click and drag each letter from a separate window, onto our main window. The problem we have encountered right away with Font Creator is that, first of all these letters are extremely small in the world of Fonts, but also that Font Creator wants to smooth out the steps of the bitmaps while we want the steps of the bitmap to remain since this is how our textile machine needs the info. Is there a way to import these bitmapped letters/numbers and have them simply stay a stepped looking letter? We do not intend to italicize, bolden or change font size with these alphabets. We simply want them in the windows>fonts folder for use in the TEXT tool. I hope this is clear, your response is most welcomed. Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think if you select the "Import Mode, Pixel" setting rather than "Trace" when importing the scanned images into font creator, it will trace the pixels precisely. You can scale the font to normal size in Font Creator so that it is much like any other font. The text feature in your program presumably allows for different sizes.

Your characters may look something like this after importing with the pixel option and resizing to normal size.
K.png
K.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Paul V.A.

Post by Paul V.A. »

That sounds like it will work. Only problem is that I can't see where to change the import option to pixel from trace. Thanks for your help.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Make sure that you have the latest version of the program from the announcments forum. The option is on the import image dialogue box.
ImportImage.png
ImportImage.png (18.92 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Paul V.A.

Post by Paul V.A. »

Bhikkhu: Thank you very much. I did not have the latest version loaded...that being done now it should be simple enough. I'll let you know tomorrow after I have worked with it, but I'm sure this will work. Again, THANKS! Paul
Paul V.A.

One more question...

Post by Paul V.A. »

That worked great and after some fussing with the size I finally was able to make it appear in our text tool. Thanks again. One more question...How do I get the updated version of Font Creator to remain? Each time I open the program, it goes back to version 4.1 and I have to download the updated version.
pwillard

Post by pwillard »

The updates are not "installs" so when you unzip the new version of the executable, it needs to "replace" the currently installed one.

For example: You need to make sure the 4.26 version ends up here...

"C:\Program Files\High-Logic\Font Creator Program\FCP4.EXE"

The system shoud ask if you want to over write it... and you *do* want to do that.

Pete
Pete