'Outline' (hollow) Font not grouping together with rest of family in Win 7 Fonts folder

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jedbadda

'Outline' (hollow) Font not grouping together with rest of family in Win 7 Fonts folder

Post by jedbadda »

I created a font family with four weights (Light, Regular, Bold, Heavy) and one 'Outline' (hollow) version of the Regular weight.

When I install them in Win 7, they all group together as a family in the Fonts folder except for the 'Outlines' one. Why is this? Shouldn't it be just treating it as another weight, such as Medium? Is the Typographic Subfamily field in the Extended tab of Fonts Property a place to customize the weight display name?

The tutorials don't do a very good job of explaining the intricacies of font naming. Maybe someone can clear this up, as it is an important part of creating the font file.

Here is an example of my font naming conventions:

REGULAR:
Identification tab:
Font Family: Fontie Regular
Font Subfamily: Regular
Weight: 400 - Normal (Regular)
Extended tab:
Typographic Family: Fontie
Typographic Subfamily: Regular

OUTLINE:
Identification tab:
Font Family: Fontie Outline
Font Subfamily: Regular
Weight: 500 - Medium
Extended tab:
Typographic Subfamily: Outline

Also, does it matter or not if I check the box for 'Outlined' under 'Additional Font Styles'?
jedbadda

Re: 'Outline' (hollow) Font not grouping together with rest of family in Win 7 Fonts folder

Post by jedbadda »

Does anyone at least have a source where I can find more in-depth information on setting the font naming parameters in FC?
MikeW

Re: 'Outline' (hollow) Font not grouping together with rest of family in Win 7 Fonts folder

Post by MikeW »

OUTLINE:
Identification tab:
Font Family: Fontie Outline
Font Subfamily: Outline
Weight: 500 - Medium
Extended tab:
Typographic Subfamily: Outline

Try the above change in bold-Italic.

Make sure to deactivate and/or delete the present Outline version before installing the new one. And, it wouldn't hurt to reboot to make sure the font cache is cleared.

Mike