Copy and paste from one font to another creates ugly font.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brak

Copy and paste from one font to another creates ugly font.

Post by Brak »

Hello,

I am having a big problem.

I am trying to create a new font based on two other fonts.

So I create a blank symbol font, and open two pre-created symbol fonts.

When I copy and paste characters from the old fonts into the new font everything looks as though it is fine. But if I view a test sample of the font or use the font in an app it looks like, excuse my french, crap.

The letters look distorted. some lines are thicker than they should, some are thin an brittle looking.

Trying to find the problem I decided to try to make a duplicate of the old font by making a new font and copy/pasting the glyphs from the one font to the other.

If I open an app (like Word or notepad) and type a sample text using one of the old font the letters look like they always have. But if I switch the font to the new font it looks all funky.

If I save the old font in FCP to a new name it works like the old font.

I even went into the settings and the PCL 5 settings and made then exact to the old font. The only thing I can't adjust in the new font is in the table settings - as the old font has hinting in the cvt, fpgm, glyf, and prep. And FCP doens't allow me to add hinting to the new font .

So what is the problem?

Thanks in advance.

B"H
Brak
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The quality has a lot to do with hinting. The hints are what make it look good at low resolutions. The Font Creator Program does not fully support hinting. Screen fonts are incredibly complex to make well.

If you want to hint your font then you could use Microsoft Visual TrueType to add hinting to your fonts. VTT is a professional-level tool for graphically instructing TrueType and OpenType fonts.

Another solution is grayscale support. To enable it select "Format -> Grayscale" from the main menu . Delete all entries. Now add a new entry and set "Grayscale rendering".

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology