Platforms

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Platforms

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The fonts that I am editing have three platform: Macintosh, Microsoft Unicode, and Unicode 1.0 Semantics.

:?: The help file says I should keep the first since many programs use it, but can I delete the Unicode 1.0 Semantics platform? It would save me a lot of work. Which programs need it?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Unicode Semantics 1.0

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

OK nobody can answer my question, so I'll try to answer it myself.

I installed a font with only Macintosh and Microsoft Unicode mappings. Extended characters were replaced with the default character box in OpenOffice 1.0. After I added the Unicode 1.0 Semantics mapping the font seems to work just fine, so I guess that OpenOffice requires Unicode 1.0 Semantics mappings.

Any more detailed information from someone who knows would be much appreciated.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Apple does not have a Unicode Encoding ID as Microsoft does. Therefore Mac computers rely on Platform ID 0 (Unicode) for doing Unicode fonts as the primary source for their cmap table.

Times New Roman includes mappings for the Unicode, Macintosh and Microsoft platform.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology