Enhancing an existing font by the german umlauts

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Klaus

Enhancing an existing font by the german umlauts

Post by Klaus »

Hi, font creators,
as a brand new beginner in creating fonts I've got a problem, that might push a smile upon the faces of you well experienced designers.
I've got a freeware-font with just enough glyphs to hold the most important signs and the letters from a to z and A to Z.
How to carry on? Of Course "Insert Glyph" but how to continue? I think, my problems are situated in the character mappings. I inserted a new glyph, placed on the position x80, copied the contour from "u" to my new "ue", produced two dots over the "u". When I now insert a "ue" (u-uml) in the preview-window, my "ue" appears in the input-field, but not in the preview area, there to be seen nothing but this wellknown square.

Can anybody help?

Best regards
Klaus
Klaus
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It sounds like a mapping problem, it often is. One needs to define the character and then map it to the right code for typing (ANSI 252 ü) is the right one.

With accents (diacritics) the best method is to create one new glyph for the diaresis accent (ANSI 168) and use composites to create ü Ü ï ä Ä etc. It is more efficient and hinting information will not be lost.

To create a composite. First create an empty new glyph, then double-click to open the glyph edit window. Insert glyph to insert the u, then repeat to insert the ¨ accent. Position carefully using guidelines, and map to the right character code - Latin small letter u with diaresis = 252 (decimal)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thank you very much, that's exactly the hint I needed.
Best regards
Klaus
Klaus