The font name displayed by Adobe Acrobat in an altered font.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

The font name displayed by Adobe Acrobat in an altered font.

Post by William »

I am learning to use Font Creator Program. I produce pdf documents using Serif PagePlus 9 (the http://www.serif.co.uk webspace for details of the program) and I wish that the font name be displayed within Adobe Acrobat for the fonts which I produce.

I decided to try to produce a font named Quest Chess. I started by producing Quest Chess 001 and gradually improved the font, each time changing the font name by adding one to the serial number in the name. This allows me to have the various versions of the font available simultaneously and also saves time in deinstalling one version before inserting the next which would need to be done if I did not change the name of the font. The files are QUCHE001.TTF, QUCHE002.TTF and so on.

I copied the glyphs from my Quest text font which is a free download on the web.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/font7007.htm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/library.htm

I produced the Quest text font using the Softy program. In the Quest text font the pieces for setting a chess diagram are in the Private Use Area, not to be confused with the regular Unicode chess pieces which are also in the font and which are aligned differently. The Serif PagePlus 9 program cannot access the chess board pieces in the Unicode Private Use Area of the Quest text font, so the Quest Chess font is being produced using just the lower 256 code points of the Unicode character map so that pdf documents with chess diagrams with these designs can be produced using the Serif PagePlus 9 program.

However, there is a problem. Although I update the postscript name in each version of the font, Adobe Acrobat reports QuestChess001 as the font every time. When I looked at QUCHE009.TTF using WordPad I found that the name QuestChess001 is in there in plain text: looking at the font in Font Creator Program 4.5 shows the postscript name as QuestChess009 so it is clearly stored in the font in some way, yet does not seem to get through to the part which gets copied into and stored in a pdf document.

Is this just some problem which I am having due to lack of experience in using the program or is it a bug in the program please?

William Overington

17 September 2004
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The easiest way to change the font name is to use the AutoNaming wizard available from the Tools menu.

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you for your reply.

I have just tried the AutoNaming wizard and produced QUCHE010.TTF which is Quest Chess 010 and the name QuestChess010 appears in plain text when the font file is viewed using Microsoft WordPad and also appears in the File | Document Properties | Fonts... facility of Adobe Acrobat Reader when the font has been used to produce a pdf document using Serif PagePlus 9.

So the original problem is resolved.

I did notice, however, that the plain text shown in Microsoft WordPad has the following.

Typeface © <your company>. 2004. All Rights Reserved

end quote

However, when viewed in the ordinary fontviewer program the following message shows, as desired.

Copyright William Overington 2004

end quote

So it appears that the plain text message is not the one used by the fontviewer program yet that the plain text message is the one used by Serif PagePlus 9 to store the font name in the pdf document. Could it be that this is something to do with the programming of the Serif PagePlus 9 program in that the postscript font name is stored in two places in the font and Serif PagePlus 9 gets it from the one place rather than the other?

That raises the interesting question as to whether there are some software packages which would read and display Typeface © <your company>. 2004. All Rights Reserved as the copyright message due to using the plain text version.

However, the main problem is resolved as I can now hopefully proceed to produce the publication version of the font and upload it to the web.

William Overington

18 September 2004
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You still need to update the Macintosh Roman platform naming fields. That should do the trick.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Ah! Thank you for the tip. I have now found section 4.5.2.1 of the manual and things are now clearer. I have now produced version 1.01 of the Quest Chess font. The font now shows the desired copyright notice when viewed using WordPad.

I feel that I have learned a lot through this exercise. Thank you for your help.

William Overington

18 September 2004