AV Spacing (Spacing Between Two Specific Glyphs)?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Shesu

AV Spacing (Spacing Between Two Specific Glyphs)?

Post by Shesu »

Pardon my newb question, but I'm trying to fix the spacing between "P" and "A" (both caps) in my font, or AV and other similar pairings. Is there a way to adjust the spacing between two specific glyphs (without using Kerning)?

The Optical Metrics helped, but it still looks like I have a space where there isn't one, especially when I use "Small Caps" (as requested by the client). I've tried Kerning Pairs (to no perceivable results even after I turned on Kerning in Word), and I'd much prefer not requiring the user to perform an extra step to look/perform right.

Here is a screenshot of the problem:
CareerPassport with unwanted space.jpg
CareerPassport with unwanted space.jpg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Thank you for your help! :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: AV Spacing (Spacing Between Two Specific Glyphs)?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's the purpose of kerning — to reduce the spacing between two specific glyphs.
Kerned.png
Kerned.png (37.7 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
You can reduce the right side-bearing, but that reduces the spacing between P and all other glyphs.
Side-bearing.png
Side-bearing.png (37.71 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
In theory, you could add a number of ligatures for such kerning pairs, but this would require that the application the client is using supports OpenType glyph substitutions, and would take a lot of work to cover every possible kerning pair. I have a few such glyphs in my fonts, but I would not advise going down this route since OpenType features are not supported in all applications. They might work in the latest version of Word, but not elsewhere. Below are a discretionary ligature for Qu and a standard ligature for fy compared to Qu and fy. IIRC Word does not distinguish between Discretionary Ligatures (dlig) and Standard Ligatures (liga) although it should.
Standard Ligature Qu.png
Standard Ligature Qu.png (25.77 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Standard Ligature fy.png
Standard Ligature fy.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486