Copy/Paste from Illustrator

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
MikeW

Re: Copy/Paste from Illustrator

Post by MikeW »

Erwin Denissen wrote:The real downside with a downgrade is the lack of cubic bezier support.
Nah, not really. One can do the work-flow using a previous version that operates as one became accustomed to, then once the glyphs are in, open that project in 11 and convert the curves if so desired.

That is one reason I keep version 9 installed. I have to be able to test certain OT Features that are no longer possible in the last versions of 10 nor 11 while I am writing the code. Testing in a browser or temp export interrupts the work-flow by a magnitude of time.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MikeW wrote:
Erwin Denissen wrote:The real downside with a downgrade is the lack of cubic bezier support.
Nah, not really. One can do the work-flow using a previous version that operates as one became accustomed to, then once the glyphs are in, open that project in 11 and convert the curves if so desired.
With version 11 you can copy vector based drawings one-to-one without conversion, as Adobe InDesign and FontCreator 11 both use cubic bezier curves. With versions prior to version 11, FontCreator will convert to quadratic, and then back into cubic which is never as good as it will use two conversions which will increase the number of points (nodes) and might also lose accuracy. If you copy and paste back and forwards a couple of times it will become even worse...
MikeW wrote:That is one reason I keep version 9 installed. I have to be able to test certain OT Features that are no longer possible in the last versions of 10 nor 11 while I am writing the code. Testing in a browser or temp export interrupts the work-flow by a magnitude of time.
What you do is different, assuming you work with TrueType based outlines. So in your case it is indeed possible to use both versions without affecting the glyphs. However FontCreator 9 contains code based on false assumptions, e.g. then we thought the feature order did matter, while in fact the lookup order is king.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Oh, I'll bring glyphs into the newest version, Erwin. But I'll export the OTF and open in v.9 in order to test code, make code changes and see the effect of the code--it's not about feature order. Any coding changes I do in v.9 are simply copied and pasted into v.11. So the glyphs are not round-tripping per se.
peetwanaka

Post by peetwanaka »

Thanks again, I just tested it and it works! I just have to re-adjust the scale factor to make it perfect.

Maybe keep in mind (for a new update) the toggle option "keep / don't keep the coordinates from other vector image editing software" to satisfy people who make the whole design in font creator (or design each character in a different file) and people who design the whole font in a single document (like me).

... if I'm not the only one :D
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will combine the two import groups, and will add a checkbox to force outlines to position to origin (0,0). Hopefully that solves most issues here.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote:We will combine the two import groups, and will add a checkbox to force outlines to position to origin (0,0). Hopefully that solves most issues here.
We released an update yesterday which includes these proposed changes.

Please use Check for Updates within the FontCreator's Help menu. Then the Options -> Import page has a new option.

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology