Adding new characters to a family

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Adding new characters to a family

Post by Mike Thompson »

I have added 22 new characters to Mike Hebrew Regular thereby completing all the Unicode for Hebrew. Many of these new characters are composites. Now I want to get these characters into Italic, Bold and Bold Italic. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'd hate to have to repeat three times all the work I have just done.

Can I copy a group of letters from one font to another? Would the mappings also be copied? Can a composite character be copied?

I'm grateful for having access in FCP to a product I can afford! Since I'm retired I have the time but repetative work does get mighty tedious.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

By using "paste special" you can copy the mappings (and choose to replace existing mappings if they already exist) and postscript names. The composites will become simple glyphs, using the same outlines as the font you copied from, e.g. regular glyphs if copied into an italic font. You will need to make each glyph empty, then insert the requisite glyphs to make the composite.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Although it isn't available yet, I have a "Complete Common Composites" feature on the todo list. The idea is to select one ore more glyphs in the Glyph Overview window and then right-click to select the feature. This will then do the following for each glyph that is known to be a composite in other fonts:
  • Clear the glyph
    Add all known composite glyph members
    Put the composite glyph members to a default (average) position
    Adjust the left and right side bearings
This feature should of course prevent circular composites as this isn't allowed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology