Two updated fonts - One is working, one is not - Why?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Teodor_nim

Two updated fonts - One is working, one is not - Why?

Post by Teodor_nim »

Since 1998 I’ve been using a program called “Softy” with good result building a symbol TrueType font. But 28 days ago I found your “The Font Creator Program” – Which I’ll buy as soon as possible. I’m just amazed about the superb user interface of FCP – editing fonts gets really easy. Nevertheless I’ve got a problem during my evaluation period (with 2 days left).

With FCP I’ve been adding new symbols to one of our own symbol fonts. At the same time I’ve been creating a new font with the same symbols but with a more modular building. As I’ve learned about composite glyphs I try to use this functionality in my new font.

Now it happened that my new font stopped working but I’m not sure why or in which step the problem started. The other font with same origin is still working properly.

Trying to find out the failing difference I’ve minimised the two fonts to just two glyphs while testing them step by step. Now I have two fonts with two glyphs each. One is working and the other doesn’t. I still can’t find out what is missing or what is failing in the font that doesn’t work. :(

Everything looks good until the fonts are installed and shall be used. The symbols of the failing font are viewed in the “Character Map” window but can’t be copied. If I’m mapping the glyphs to the ISO Latin area the symbols will automatically be exchanged to common letters when using the font. The symbols in the Private Usage Area are exchanged with the “missing character glyph”.

I'm working in Windows XP. I've tried fifofo.exe without any error messages. And I live in the north of Sweden.

Is there anyone that can help me to find out why the font is failing or what I do wrong? I can mail the two minimised fonts if it helps…

Thanks in advance
/Teodor
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See this thread

Your problem sounds very much like this one.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In case Bhikkhu Pesala's post didn't help you, send the font files to me and I'll try to locate the exact problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Teodor_nim

Post by Teodor_nim »

It did help me - thanks a lot, Bhikkhu. :D Quick response!

I checked the "Format-->Settings-->Ranges tab-->Code Page Ranges-->Edit button" and found out that the failing font had no ticked tickboxes. There were the difference.

The working font had the following ranges ticked: Latin 1, OEM Character Set and Symbol Character Set. When I ticked these in the failing font, saved and installed it - it worked as expected.

But :shock: when I push the "Calculation button" (in the same tab) these selections are erased and the font stops working again. This happens to both the fonts. My problem was - that I tried this button once without knowing the consequences.

I think I have to learn more about this - because I don't understand why the selections are erased or which selections I should have there. :?

Thanks anyway - I'm released for the moment - maybe I'll have to come back when I've got a licence to continue with the FCP...

/Teodor
Teodor_nim

Post by Teodor_nim »

Just have to add that I've found that it's enough to manually select the Code Page Range "Latin 1" to make my font working. The font is then tested in MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, PSP 8.1, Paint, WordPad, AdobeAcrobat...

The font contains about 300 symbols with mappings in the Private Use Area (EB00-F8FF) divided into different groups for easier selection. Some symbols have there duplicates in the Latin Area.

Why do the "Code Page Character Range-->Calculate button" erase all selections? :?:

Where can I learn mor about this? :?:

Erwin, thanks to you as well - for your reply. Sorry to forgot this yesterday. :oops:

/Teodor
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The calculate button for Code Page Character Ranges will only set a code page, when all characters for that code page are available in the font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology