Subscript and Superscript font files

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fonts

Subscript and Superscript font files

Post by Fonts »

I have a set of 3 font files called Normal, Subscript and Superscript. I don't have the option of using 1 font and then setting as subscript or superscript within applications such as Word or Excel.
The latter 2 have been scaled down from Normal but they look too thin.
Is there a way to make subscript and superscript from the normal font?
I refer you to the first graphic in this web page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscript_and_superscript
I have version 6.0.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Subscript and Superscript font files

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Why don't you have the option of including Super and Subscripts in the normal font? As long as you're not using an old version of Word, OpenType features are supported.

FontCreator 6.0 does not have the option of adding OpenType super/subscript features, but there are other methods (this one is for Windows XP only). Later versions of FontCreator made it a lot easier.

Adding OpenType Features

If you have the Standard or Professional version of FontCreator, you can use Glyph Transformations to scale the glyphs and make them bolder in one operation.
Superscript Transform.png
Superscript Transform.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 7757 times
This is the result that the default script produces:
Auto Superscripts.png
Auto Superscripts.png (25.71 KiB) Viewed 7757 times
Some manual adjustments are likely to be necessary afterwards if the font has serifs.
Adjust Serifs.png
Adjust Serifs.png (23.48 KiB) Viewed 7757 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

I cannot use just one font because: For each subscript and superscript glyph, I have other parts such as a line which need to stay the same size and have the same coordinates as a regular glyph.
Could you please elaborate on the "other methods" in your post.
As I don't use this program very often, I can't justify purchasing a professional version.
Please do not try to tell me to purchase a new version in a similar manner to my previous post a year or so ago.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Fonts wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 amI cannot use just one font because: For each subscript and superscript glyph, I have other parts such as a line which need to stay the same size and have the same coordinates as a regular glyph.
I don't understand. If I want to make part of this sentence bold and leave the rest of it in regular, it is simple to do. The same applies to applying superscripts.
Fonts wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 amCould you please elaborate on the "other methods" in your post.
Since I don't get paid by High-Logic to provide support to other users, I cannot justify spending a lot of my free time elaborating on what is already fully explained in the link that I provided.

If you don't use Windows XP, that solution won't work. You will need to search for other methods or just continue what you're doing now — switching fonts to apply superscripts or subscripts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

See attachment. "A" is a regular font, "b" is the superscript. The first instance is what I need, a regular glyph and a new created glyph reduced in size to look like a superscript. The second instance is what would happen if I made it a subscript in Word or Excel, the line above gets reduced.
With regard to support, why am I an "other user"?
I have purchased the product.
Attachments
Attachment.png
Attachment.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 7744 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I think Word's superscript feature will always scale the whole character, so that won't work.

If you only use the font for personal use then you might be able to use private use area characters.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Using Private Use Area glyphs is probably the easiest method.

OpenType superscript features do not suffer from the scaling problems that using Word's superscript formatting does. The screen shot is from LibreOffice with my Pali font, using OpenType superscripts compared to superscript formatting.
Superscripts.png
Superscripts.png (9.09 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
Fonts wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:28 amWith regard to support, why am I an "other user"?
I have purchased the product.
Purchasing the product entitles you to support from High-Logic. FontCreator users, like me, can offer as much support as they wish in their free time, but we are under no obligation to do so.

I think you will need a lot of hand-holding to add OpenType features to your font with FontCreator 6.0. With later versions of FontCreator it would be simple.
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

I'm getting a bit confused with some of the terminology ... such as "open type features", "subscripts in Word".
If I can rephrase my intention:
Leave out any mention of subscripts or superscripts, forget about the number of font files I have ... then what I want to do is scale down an existing glyph and keep the thickness of the lines (which may not be the correct description). Such as shown in the attachment below.
Can you please refer me to some instructions, or another post, or a third party tool.
As suggested I cannot upgrade.
Attachments
Attachment 2.png
Attachment 2.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Fonts wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 amCan you please refer me to some instructions, or another post, or a third party tool.
I already showed you how to adjust the weight of a serif by moving nodes. Since you have the Home Edition, you cannot use glyph transformations, but you can still move the nodes manually.
Make Bolder.png
Make Bolder.png (24.4 KiB) Viewed 7713 times
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

This will be difficult for curved portions and diagonals.
OK thanks anyway.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Fonts wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 amI'm getting a bit confused with some of the terminology ... such as "open type features", "subscripts in Word".
Using OpenType Features in Word

If you have Calibri, you can experiment with that to see how it works.
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

I have downloaded the trial version.
I do not see "bold preserve bearings" in your post Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:14 pm.
Also why can't I save the font in its native format. Instead I get the "fcp" option only.
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

What are my options of purchasing a professional version of one of the earlier versions such as 6.0?
I do not want to save as .fcp.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

All recent versions save the font as a project file. You use Export Settings and then Export as TrueType or Web Font to export as *.ttf, *.otf, or *.woff with TrueType or Postscript CFF outlines.

Export Settings

Only Erwin can tell you about upgrade options from FontCreator 6.0.
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

With regard to:
Bold preserve bearings, why can't I see this to trial?