Type Cursor too large

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
WilcoxD

Type Cursor too large

Post by WilcoxD »

Hey Font Forum,

My work had a font created by a third party. When we installed it, we discovered that the Type Cursor is very large, covering 4 lines of text. The third party is unwilling to make any changes to the delivered font, so we're trying to fix it ourselves. What can I do? It's like this in every program we use the font in, including the Test Window in FontCreator (bad photo attached).

I'll take any help I can. Hopefully, this is an easy fix.

Thanks!

-David
Font_TypeCursor.JPG
Font_TypeCursor.JPG (76.02 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
MikeW

Re: Type Cursor too large

Post by MikeW »

It's possible that the values for WinAscent and WinDescent are larger than they need to be, or just the Typo Ascender/Typo Descender values, both or who knows without seeing the font. I haven't tried altering the caret offset, but it too might have a strange value.

It's generally really easy to fix in FontCreator. I don't know about the lesser versions, but the Pro can calculate those values with the press of a button or two. There could be design reasons they have large values, though. A stray element can be positioned so low as to cause this, even from automatic calculations, as well as other design elements that are necessary for the font. Again, without walking through the font it's hard to just give a "do this and it will fix the problem" advice.

Mike
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Type Cursor too large

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

WilcoxD wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 pm(bad photo attached).
How to use the snipping tool to capture screenshots

Cambria Math has similar properties, which is by design and should not be changed or it will result in some glyphs being cropped in most applications.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486