Glyph Names

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
graphity

Glyph Names

Post by graphity »

Hi, I'm new to Font Creator - a refugee from FontLab Studio (although still using it on Mac). I'm intrigued about Font Creator's apparent default Glyph Names protocol. I imported a TTF font generated from Mac FontLab Studio into Font Creator 11 Professional in order to check some OpenType code which doesn't compute in FontLab. I've always been pretty strict about glyph names, always using either the user-friendly names that are in the famous/infamous Adobe Glyph List for New Fonts (AGLFN) or, if no AGLFN name exists, then I use the uniXXXX format. However after my font was imported into Font Creator, many of my uniXXXX names have been converted to non-AGLFN names eg uni1E0C has become "Ddotbelow". Where can I change the default for the way Font Creator writes over imported glyph names???? Apart from changing glyph names to ones NOT recommended by Adobe this change renders my code-testing scripts useless because they are all built using the AGLFN/uniXXXX name format. In the Preview window I can't even override the Font Creator-assigned glyph name by using the actual Unicode value in the format \1E0C - Font Creator simply doesn't respond to the changed name in this format. Please tell me how I can regain control over my glyph names in Font Creator. Thanks in advance. Kevin.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Glyph Names

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator uses the file glyphnames.dat to generate glyph names.

Go to Tools, Options, Advanced, and copy the Data files to the User Data Folder. Then open the User Data Folder to edit the copy of glyphnames.dat in notepad or whatever.

I think, if you just delete the unwanted names, the glyph names will use the unixxxx format. Otherwise, replace the user-friendly names "Ddotbelow," etc., with whatever you want to use.
Copy Data Files.png
Copy Data Files.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
graphity

Re: Glyph Names

Post by graphity »

Thanks for that! I'll update that default glyphnames.dat file using the data in my own customised mapping file that I've been using for years in FontLab. I am curious about the source of the default glyphnames.dat file that FontCreator is using. Does anyone know - I've never seen many of those names before! Cheers, Kevin.