Ligatures don't show up in PDF

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
harryspier123

Ligatures don't show up in PDF

Post by harryspier123 »

I created a font with ligatures (to center some accents over letters correctly) and they display correctly in Word 2013 but in PDF's exported from Word documents they don't display; instead the source characters for the ligatures display. The ligatures also don't display in LibreOffice.

Its Word 2013 and Windows 7 Pro

The script is the default script, the language is the default language and the ligatures are in rlig (required ligatures) and there is a dummy DSIG table in the font.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Ligatures don't show up in PDF

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try including them as standard ligatures and see if that works.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Re: Ligatures don's show up in PDF

Post by MikeW »

I'm using Word 2010 and without rlig. But the std. ligs, hlig and dligs all show up in a PDF, whether I use Word's crappy in-built PDF save as routine or Acrobat's plug-in. W2010 I think was the first version to support ligs, but I don't know if it supports rligs.

If I get time I can roll in an rlig feature into this font.

However, it may behoove you to ZIP up your font with a test Word document and supply Erwin with it. Else it may be an apples/oranges thing.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

harryspier123 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pmThe script is the default script
You could try the correct script (depending on the characters Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, etc) and see if that works.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
harryspier123

Post by harryspier123 »

Thank you Erwin,
What you suggested worked.

Script = Latin, lang = default and lookup = rlig displays ligatures in Word, PDF and LibreOffice

Note also:
Script=Latin, lang = default and lookup = liga doesn't display ligatures in either Word, PDF or LibreOffice
Script=default, lang default and lookup = rlig displays ligatures in Word but not in PDF or LibreOffice
Script = default, lang = default and lookup = liga doesn't display ligatures in either Word, PDF or LibreOffice
Script = Latin, lang = ENG and lookup = liga or rlig gives invalid pointer operation when I try to export or install the font.

Thanks,
Harry
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

harryspier123 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pm Thank you Erwin,
What you suggested worked.
Perfect!
harryspier123 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 pmScript = Latin, lang = ENG and lookup = liga or rlig gives invalid pointer operation when I try to export or install the font.
This will be fixed with the next upcoming release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology