Extended cgaracters missing in 'Doze progs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Geminga

Extended cgaracters missing in 'Doze progs

Post by Geminga »

Kudos on the forum. I've been messing w/ FCP for a couple weeks and have gotten my set to work... mostly.

The whole point was to be able to type/print characters that are specific to my notes. These were dropped into the "extended" area. In Notepad, the Gimp and any other program many ".notdef" boxes are shown. What must I do to make all 255 useable? Actually there only about 170 in the whole set.

Is there a place to upload the font? I could put it on my site, too.

TIA
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Just put it on your site, or send it to me and I'll upload it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Geminga

Post by Geminga »

I upped the font and a screenshot of FCP's Font Test side-by-side with CHARMAP.
1. Font Test shows .notdef where characters should be.
2. CHARMAP shows even more:(
Character Map, Notepad, the GiMP... they all show the same output. I tried changing the ranges, changing the regional settings, no solution. just too many arcane combinations.

http://geminga2k.tripod.com/tech/GemingaNotation.rar
http://geminga2k.tripod.com/tech/problem.gif

*I should add that I don't intend to type with most of these extended characters. I just want to get a full set to display in Notepad so I can copy/paste into graphics.

I look for foreign music online and generate the string in a dictionary program which always displays things properly (M$'s "private font family"??), then paste the string into the search. Even though the paste produces gibberish, well, I'm searching for THAT string of gibberish and so can find Russian, Greek, Finnish, &c using Google or WinMX. Can you read my signature? The process also works in reverse:)

If I can make the *.TXT cheat sheet, even once, no matter how difficult, it will never have to be done again. Just copy/paste. Easier than Character Map.
-Pete
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

On my Windows XP system, the Font Test window shows all characters. Maybe you have an older version of the font installed? FiFoFo might help solve the problem. Try the Fix Font Folder utility available from our download page.
http://www.high-logic.com/download.html

How to use it:
- Start Fifofo.exe
- Press the Ok button at the bottom of the "Read Me" Window.
- Press "Fix Fonts Folder"
- wait, wait, wait......until you see a list of fonts.
- Press "Save Report..." and select a filename
- As a final step a restart might help

Send this file to me so I can try and help you with the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hello Pete,

Thanks for the report. It confirms your system is Ok and the font file should not cause any problems. Did the 'required' reboot help?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Geminga

Post by Geminga »

No change:-(

I'll add blank characters to make a total of 255, then note which characters ARE displayed. Maybe this will indicate something about codepage or NLS or something.

This is new territory to me and I tend to learn things thoroughly from the hardware up. Can you reccomend a tutorial?