Italic version in the same file of normal letters

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Shamshoo

Italic version in the same file of normal letters

Post by Shamshoo »

Hi. I sometimes spend my spare time in linguistic artistic activities. I use FontCreator (an old old version 5.6) for the creation of fictional alphabet of fictional languages. In this post I’m going to explain just one of many things I don't understand.

I’ve already made a set of letters. I would like to create a particular italic version for each letter. If I click in “italic button” (when I write with world program) I want to see other characters. For example like for Time new roman, that it has a total different style for normal and Italic letters.

normal a ≠ italic a
normal f ≠ italic f
normal h ≠ italic h
normal i ≠ italic i
normal l ≠ italic l
normal u ≠ italic u
normal v ≠ italic v
normal y ≠ italic y
normal x ≠ italic x

I don’t want my Italic letters are just tilted.
How do I do that?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Italic version in the same file of normal letters

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

When you use the Bold or Italic function in any application, Windows switches the font, using a different TTF or OTF. You need to create one font for each font style that you need, e.g. Times Regular, Times Italic, Times Bold, and Times Bold Italic.

You posted in the Scanahand Support forum, so I moved your thread. If you are using Scanahand, and not FontCreator, you will need the Premium Edition.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Shamshoo

Post by Shamshoo »

Sorry, I think I didn’t understand. If I look for the Time New Roman font in my fonts list, I find just one “Time New Roman”. However, if I go to the fonts folder of my computer, I can see three font documents connected for “Time New Roman”. But if I open this with FontCreator, I see only regular letters. So, where is every bold or italic letter for each regular Time New Roman characters that I see? I looked for them among “symbol” but there are only one letter. When I click on italic button and the letter changes form, the number code is the same.
When I make a new file with my italic version of the already created file, how can I connect both?

Anyway I use FontCreator, not Scanhand, obviously.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can open installed fonts directly from FontCreator. There are for TTF files for Times New Roman.
Four Times Fonts.png
Four Times Fonts.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
If you're creating your own fonts you need to create a new TTF for Italics, and another one for Bold. You also need to change some font settings so that Windows can correctly identify the font style.

This Old Post in the FAQ might be helpful to you, since you're using an old version of FontCreator. More recent versions can automate the process of changing the font settings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Shamshoo

Post by Shamshoo »

Thank you so much! I did it :D