Glyph origin

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
mwright123

Glyph origin

Post by mwright123 »

For my application, all glyphs must have a bottom left origin of 0,0.
I need to change the origin on 10 or so standard fonts such as times.
I can not seem to fin a way of automating this to do all glyphs in a single font.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Make sure you have the latest version.

Then Tools, Glyph Transformer..., Metrics, Left side-bearing Point at x=0

Add that transformation to the panel on the right, and remove any other transformations you find there. Then apply to all glyphs: Range, all.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
mwright123

Results

Post by mwright123 »

That is exactly what I tried before posting and no results.
I even tried to do it on a single opn glygh with no results.

Mary
mwright123

Post by mwright123 »

I took another look and it may be semantics.
The 'BEARING POINT' is at 0 already - so there is no change.
I need the left side of the glyph itself at 0.

In other words, ctrl-A to select the glyph itseld and then enter 0 as the x position, apply and that is the result - it removes all leading white space.

I think I worded it better now.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

0-0 Origin

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Mary,

I hope this helps. When I first started using FCP I had a lot of problems with the left bearing moving when I didn't expect it to. I wrote:

"Moving points on the left side of your glyph tend to move the LEFT BEARING at the same time. Saving your font re-sets the left bearing in every glyph to X = 0, [this can be changed by going to TOOLS, OPTIONS, FONT and de-selecting the bottom box] moving your whole glyph with it!

Before leaving the glyph, be sure to move the left bearing near the place you want, then select a single point near the bearing. Clicking on the Magnifying Glass will take you to a magnification of 500, allowing you to accurately set the bearing exactly where you want it. Otherwise you may return to the glyph at some future time and be dismayed to find that it is not where you left it.

Pressing the Fit In Screen button just right of the Magnifying Glass produces your full glyph, allowing you to select a point near the left bearing so you can zoom in and accurately place it too. "
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There doesn't seem to be a way to do it for all glyphs at once. Using the Transform toolbar might be a bit tedious. Snap to guidelines might be a bit easier.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486